Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Turn Your Road Maps and Toy Packaging Into Wallets!


After going on a road trip over the Summer I had some road maps that were worn out in a few places.  I remembered that  I had made my husband a DIY wallet out of some Loteria card games boards for his Birthday, so I decided to make some similar wallets out of the old maps!



This was a pretty easy project over all.  First I made a pattern by looking at the shape of an existing wallet and seeing what functions were important to me.  I wanted my wallets to have a place to keep money and places for cards.

I then cut out the pattern pieces on some heavy weight paper.  (I reused some paper that my daughter had been painting on.) I Then I taped the map pieces onto the paper and then taped everything together with packing tape.  I used a glue gun to attach an elastic strap to hold the wallet closed.










I also made a wallet out of a My Little Pony box.  This was a similar process, but since the box material was already thick, I didn't need to use heavy weight paper. 

I used a glue gun to add ribbon and decorations.

The My Little Pony characters could also be cut out and used as paper dolls!



Finally, a similar wallet can be made with duct tape!  Here's one that I made with Hello Kitty duct tape.

First I cut out the pattern pieces on some heavy weight paper.  Then I placed the duct tape over them.  Then I added ribbons and elastic with a glue gun!


These are fun ways to reuse worn out maps and toy packaging that would otherwise be thrown away!


No comments:

Post a Comment