Monday, January 7, 2013

~*~Reusing Toys ~*~Making Custom Dolls~*~

~*~Reusing Toys ~*~Making Custom Dolls~*~

I have also made custom doll our of vintage My Pretty Mermaids, a giant Barbie, and other dolls.

To make them I follow similar steps to making custom My Little Ponies.


First I buy the ponies second hand on ebay or at thrift stores.  Then I clean them with soap and water.    

After they are clean, I do any necessary sculpting with Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

I then repaint their bodies with an airbrush.  I use a Paasche Talon Gravity Feed Airbrush for large area repaints, however I need to be careful with joints and moving areas on dolls because the paint can rub off in these areas.

Then I use watercolor paint brushes and acrylic paint for symbol and eye details.

Once all of the painting is done I seal the pony for protection.

I then reroot their hair with a rerooting needle tool like the hair and tool from Dollyhair.com

Then details such as glitter, jewels, and hair styles can be added.

This is a nice way to reuse toys and create unique pieces of art.

It can also be a fun activity for parents to do with their kids!

Here are some examples of my custom dolls:



















No comments:

Post a Comment